Jared,Popular 365 Question

How Can you convert a Variable speed trigger switch like on a reciprocator saw to a variable speed knob?

10 months ago 1


  1. husoski

    The trigger is probably a combination of an on-off switch and a variable resistor. There are knob-based controls that do that, or you could have a separate on/off switch and control speed with a plain rheostat or potentiometer. You'll need to open up your saw to find out what the existing part is and look it up to find the resistance range, current and voltage ratings. Make sure your replacement parts will handle the current and 120VAC voltage. The resistance range is approximate. The wiring will almost certainly be just one switch and resistor in series. Mounting will be "fun".

    By the way, this makes a pretty dangerous tool. Power tools have triggers so that they turn off when dropped. Knobs don't do that.

Leave A Reply

 Prev Questions

Next Questions